In Jiu Jitsu while it seems like the possibilities are endless the truth is pretty much every human is fundamentally constructed the same 5 limbs.
1 head, 2 arms, 2 legs. With some obvious exceptions…. And yet the vast majority of people we train with, compete against, defend ourselves against, fit the “5 limbed” description.
This makes for many many similarities from one position to another. However this “mirroring” or positional similarity is no better demonstrated than in the half guard position.
It really is in many ways a “neutral position” because each combatant essentially has the same control. 1 leg.
And, what you discover as you go deep into studying the half guard position you discover that what works to advance from the top is virtually identical to what works to advance from the bottom.
This “deeper” understanding of the relationship between top and bottom leaves you with the ability to adapt to virtually any scenario and any opponent.
The key to OWNING every half guard exchange both top and bottom is what my Half Guard Training System is all about!
Sweep, Recover Guard, or take the back on demand from the bottom and Pass to the cross side or mount on demand from the top.
Even opponents with “tricky” or “sneaky” half guard games won’t be able to rattle you. Because what you’ll know are the FUNDAMENTAL CONCEPTS of the position both top and bottom.
While they have to rely on tricks to cover up the fact that they don’t know what you know!
The “Optimists” Half Guard On Top:
– Are you on top? Yes. How is your weight distributed? Where should your hands be? What’s your number 1 priority? If you don’t know…. Then you don’t know… you’re probably getting swept, submitted or put back in the guard at the very least.
– Ever get just your foot stuck behind you in your opponents half guard? Let me show you one simple idea that slides your foot out as if it someone sprayed it with cooking spray.
– FINALLY… the governing principles and concepts of the top of Half Guard. What works, what doesn’t, where each positional adjustment leads… Get ready to have your MindBlown
– Discover the MOST important thing you need to do FIRST, BEFORE you connect to your opponent with your hands?
– Discover the one thing NOBODY EVER wants you to do to them when your on top of Half Guard… and how to get it EVERY TIME
The “Optimists” Half Guard On Bottom:
– Are you on the bottom? Yes. Are you “defending”? Are you “trying” to not get passed? You’re getting passed son. This is no way to attack the half guard position if you’re on the bottom.
– Just a handful of fundamental concepts that allow you to immediately and consistently neutralize your opponents top Half Guard game.
– Getting yourself in position to be 100% OFFENSIVE from the bottom of half guard requires you do just a handful of things BEFORE your opponent does. Do them right and you’re on top… Do them wrong and you’re getting FLATTENED.
If you like hearing training partners respond with ….
• -Nobody’s EVER done that to me
Then this is the ONLY systematic approach to Half Guard Top & Bottom you need.